In this fresh edition of Dead Reckoning Radio (DR Radio), we’ll be looking at the Milo fiasco, the #resistance, the immigration EO, and more! To listen in, you can use the player below or you can subscribe to our podcast on iTunes or Android. We have included the show notes below so you can follow along and check our sources.
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
February 21, 2017
Hello everyone and welcome to a super-fresh edition of Dead Reckoning Radio! So fresh, in fact we’re live on Facebook. Today is February 20th. I am Jay Friesen and I’m here as expected with Hadley Heath Manning- whose callsign is now officially “Whiplash.” and Dr. Brian G. Mattson- whose callsign varies from day today. We are so stoked to be back with you. I had calls and texts and messages all through the holidays…and January asking where we were, people needing their fix, we are a drug. The Opium of the people! Actually, it just made me learn not give me contact info out to fans.
And we do have lots of fans. Lots and lots of amazing fans joining us live as well as on our podcast. You can subscribe to our 5 star rated podcast- second year in a row by the way- at www.deadreckoning.tv. You can also follow us on our various social mediums and even send us a donation because you love us right? One of the reasons we’re not daily is because we have day jobs, this is a labor of love but the good news is that Dead Reckoning is a 501c3. So your donations are tax deductible and you can do that very easily on our secure website with a credit or debit card.
Also supporting our show is our very wonderful sponsors. Today’s sponsor is Alliance Defending Freedom- Defending your right to freely live out your faith! Regardless of what you believe. You can find out more at www.adflegal.org.
It’s awesome to be back but with so much having happened since our last show, what are we talking about exactly today. We format our show into four different segments, Quick Takes- things not really worthy of a full segment followed by three full segments of topics worthy of deeper discussion. After most segments we take a break to hear from our sponsors and come back with a game!
And today’s topics include: the concern and consequences of today’s “broken amplifier” political discussions, Besty DeVille…I mean, DeVos and her desire to harvest the hides of children everywhere and immigration! The discussion of the times. We have a classic game of Nerd v. Nerd coming
- Our Very Own Hadley was named Number 3 on NewsMax’s “30 Influential Conservatives Under 30” list! Woohoo! Hadley, give us an acceptance speech!
- Jay’s been trying to close on his new house and tooling up a new production company. Hence, some of our delay… (Tell us about it!)
- Brian’s been working on writing a book, planning some exciting upcoming teaching opportunities, and occasionally rocking out as a worship leader for a big church with a big stage, big lights, big sound, and a big band.
- Milo is a New Low – Since we do want to try to be up-to-date and contemporary, let’s talk about the latest “outrage of the day”! The American Conservative Union has invited provocateur Milo Yiannapolous to speak at CPAC, their annual conservative conference. This has sparked a lot of outrage in conservative circles since, well, Milo isn’t really a conservative. He’s a performance artist testing the limits of what can be said out loud in polite company. Hint: None of it is polite. Hadley, Brian: any thoughts on what the Milo invitation means?
App-etizer – Jay’s “app to avoid” for the week! Truthfinder. They make you really scared will going through the really elaborate process, then ask for your credit card before giving you the info they found.
Segment One: This Amp Has Two Settings: Off, and Eleven!
I take it back: there is no “off”! 2016 was a wild year, what with the presidential election and everything. If you thought things would calm down a bit afterwards, well, think again! It has been one long string of “Outrages of the Day” ever since, whether about a Tweet, an Executive Order, a nomination, you name it. Sometimes it appears our country is coming apart at the seams. We are now a “Clickbait” society. Everyone is screaming: “You WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!!!”
The shouting match is deafening, from left and right. We’re going to delve into the substance of some of the particulars in the following segments, but I think we should talk about the broader context. Does it seem like political outrage has only two settings, like a broken amplifier: “Off” and “Eleven”? What do you guys make of this?
- Is the 24/7 outrage machine really representative of American life? Is it possible most people just tune it out, and a small, very loud minority participates in it?
- Is there a “Boy Who Cried Wolf” problem inherent in keeping the volume at 11 all the time? (Check out the first two paragraphs of this Kevin Williamson masterpiece: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445054/media-trump-both-unreliable
- What might be the political or electoral consequences of this?
- How should we prioritize what’s serious and what’s not? Do we need some kind of framework? What is it?
- Any suggestions on how we can “dial it back”?
[Sponsor] ADF – Kristin Waggoner Statement, Baronelle Stutzman Decision 2:43
[Game] Nerd v. Nerd “Joke Insurance” When two friends have a mutual understanding to laugh at each others jokes, no matter how lame or awkward said joke is, therefore lessening the social failure of the bad joke.
Segment Two: Madam Secretary Betsy DeVille–Er, DeVos
For last week’s sadly canceled show, we’d planned on talking about education and the turmoil surrounding the appointment of Betsy DeVos to head the Department of Education. It turns out to be a perfect example of our cultural whiplash. A week later, nobody is talking about Betsy DeVos! But just because everybody stops talking about it doesn’t mean we should.
The political Left desperately wanted to defeat Mrs. DeVos. They ratcheted up the rhetoric to maximum heat and volume, and they nearly succeeded. She was confirmed by the Senate after Vice President Pence broke a 50-50 tie. (That’s a first for a cabinet appointment!)
Here’s what some on the Left thought of that: a Tweet from @rilaws: “Meaning voucher programs will lead to more suicides. Betsy DeVos’s policies will kill children. That is not an exaggeration in any sense.”
Nope. Not exaggerated at all! Brian and Hadley,
- Help us figure out why she garnered so much opposition? Is she really Betsy DeVille, out to harvest the hides of children?
- What do you think of education reform? Is it needed? Will “school choice” help or harm our education system? What are her ideas?
- What, realistically, can she achieve? And is it worth the hysteria?
[Sponsor] ADF – #ReligiousFreedom, Little Sisters of the Poor
[Sponsor] ADF- #ReligiousFreedom, Grace Youth and Family Foundation
[Game] Who Am I? Trump Edition (Guess who Jay is talking about with the least information)
- Was an officer in the United States Navy for seven years in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
- Was a founding member of the board of Breitbart News.
- Said, “The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for a while.”
Answer: Steve Bannon, assistant to the President and White House chief strategist
- . Won the World Champion Blueberry Packing competition.
- Was the first woman to run a Republican general election presidential campaign.
- Coined the phrase, “Alternative Facts.”Answer: Kellyanne Conway, Counselor to the President
- Is Donald Trump’s longest serving political aide.
- Began working with Ivanka Trump on her fashion line in 2012
- Is 28 and was included on the Forbes 30 under 30 list, having “served as a one-woman press team for Trump’s historic presidential campaign.”
Answer: Hope Hicks, White House Director of Strategic Communications
- Received a master’s degree in National Security and Strategic Studies from the Naval War College.
- Was the assistant U.S. Trade Representative for media and public affairs in President George W. Bush’s administration before becoming the communications director of the Republican National Committee
- Is portrayed by Melissa McCarthy on Saturday Night Live.
Answer: Sean Spicer, White House Press Secretary and Communications Director
Segment Three: Christianity & The Immigration Crisis
More outrage at President Trump’s Executive Orders! The one that has (had) everyone in a tizzy is the EO on immigration. It’s a fairly sweeping one that barred individuals from 7 countries entry to the US. It doesn’t cover citizens or permanent residents (though that was unclear at first). Since its signing, protests broke out at major airports, many individuals were detained at ports or entry by customs, and the interim AG stated she wouldn’t defend the EO. She was promptly fired by the administration. Companies and universities scrambled to issue statements to their communities, multiple lawsuits were filed and a federal judge ordered a stay on the ban.
Since then, we’ve had reactions from Trump about the judge and the ban on Twitter (A small sample: “The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!”, “What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?”, “Just cannot believe a judge would put our country in such peril. If something happens blame him and court system. People pouring in. Bad!”)
Here’s a few questions:
The Christian community is fairly divided about this Executive Order. Is it OK to bar entry to ones country when you know they’re seeking asylum? Is applying the rules in the OT on caring for the foreigner valid? Bad hermeneutics? (an aside: Christians in the US are really bad at consistent, orthodox Bible interpretation.) Many denominations and organizations have worked hard to help resettle refugees and make them feel welcome (my own included), does this EO hinder their work?
Hadley and Brian Socials
Rate on Itunes
- DR Entertainment Brand