Welcome to Dead Reckoning Radio! In this episode we will be looking at the Cubs win, the Jen Hatmaker controversy, Obamacare, Physician-assisted suicide, new Clinton email revelations, and the joys of championship-level chess.
You can listen in using the player below or subscribe using your podcast catcher of choice. We’ve also included the show notes below so you can follow along and check our sources.
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to Dead Reckoning Radio. We are Live! I’m your host, Jay Friesen. Joined around this old door-turned-table table, Hadley “We-hope-she-likes-DR-better-than-major-media appearances” Heath and Dr. “So-overwhelmed-with-life-he-forgot-about-Dead-Reckoning” Brian G. Mattson. DR Radio is where the three of us, mostly the two of them, intelligently discuss those critical cultural moments from a distinctly Christian perspective.
We are a five-star rated podcast. Thank you for subscribing and reviewing! To do so, please visit www.deadreckoning.tv.
Today’s show is no exception to five-star content! We have three major topics, two breaks, a couple games and some quick takes. Our major topics today include: The FBI’s re-opening of Hillary’s email problems, and why is our culture so obsessed with being able to kill people? Why is it perceived as more compassionate to “allow” someone to die rather than to care for them as a community? We’ll be looking at the birth of new assisted suicide laws across the country. And Brian will be closing our show trying to make a case why a match between two chess grandmasters is even remotely interesting to us.
As usual we will be having games of wit and whimsey and we’ll hear from our sponsor as well. Today’s sponsor is Alliance Defending Freedom: defending your right to freely live out your faith. Visit them at www.adflegal.org to find out the latest in defense of religious freedom, sanctity of life and marriage. And be sure to thank them for supporting us!
Let’s get started:
- Cubs Win!
The Billy Goat curse is finally lifted! After a World Series drought of ONE HUNDRED EIGHT YEARS, the Chicago northsiders, clinched victory over the Cleveland Indians last night in a wild game 7. They treated their fans, of course, to a collective heart attack when they coughed up their four-run lead in the 8th inning and it looked like they would once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
- Hatmaker on the Hotseat!
Popular Christian author Jen Hatmaker had all of her books pulled from the largest Christian bookstore retailer because she openly endorsed same-sex relationships. It’s a now-familiar scene: author takes a controversial stand; people are outraged; author whines about how mean everybody is; the usual suspects circle the wagons around their tribes, and on and on it goes.
- The ACA DeathSpiral?
In any normal year, this news would dominate the presidential election race: health care premiums are skyrocketing, insurers are pulling out of the marketplace at a rapid pace, and the entire scheme is tottering on the edge of a cliff. Hadley, give us an update, since everybody else wants to talk about Donald Trump.
- The Resurrection…of Mel Gibson?
Mel Gibson is back with a new film this week, Hacksaw Ridge. It is the true story of a pacifist soldier who’s bravery in battle won him the Congressional Medal of Honor. It is getting rave reviews, and it looks like Mel’s icy relationship with Hollywood is thawing a bit. He’s announced plans for a sequel to The Passion of the Christ. What do you guys think?
Segment One: The FBI’s October Surprise!
In an absolutely stunning turn of events (in a year full of stunning events), FBI Director James Comey sent a letter to Congress informing them that he is re-opening the investigation into candidate Hillary Clinton’s email server. This is because the FBI uncovered new evidence in a different, unrelated investigation — an investigation, it turns out, into underage “sexting” star Anthony Wiener. No studio would ever pick up this story for a movie; they’d call it wildly unrealistic, but here we are!
- Guys, is this a game changer for her electoral prospects?
- If she wins and is then indicted, does she step down or actually take office?
- Can President Obama pardon her? Will he?
[Brian, you’re so funny. Sneaking this pile of smelly brown stuff into this segment] Can DONALD TRUMP WIN THE PRESIDENCY OF THE UNITED STATES??????
[Sponsor: ADF: Prayer 2:30]
- Woman passes gas during surgery; suffers burns, causes fire in operating room – http://www.wapt.com/article/woman-passes-gas-during-surgery-suffers-burns-causes-fire-in-operating-room/8072037
- Fake: Man robs taco stand, police find salsa hidden in pants.
Segment Two: Medical Murder or “Death With Dignity”?
A number of states are considering differing levels of assisted suicide laws this election and Hadley’s own home of Colorado is one of them!
Additionally, DC is going to be having a final vote on whether they’ll allow assisted suicide and this measure has many worried that it will disproportionally affect poor African Americans. And a woman in Maine was denied insurance coverage for cancer treatment, but approved for assisted suicide drugs!
- Why is our culture so obsessed with being able to kill people? Why is it perceived as more compassionate to “allow” someone to die rather than to care for them as a community?
- Why is standing against Assisted Suicide important to being consistently pro-life?
- Do the stats out of Oregon not worry people? The image is always alleviating people in excruciating pain, but that isn’t what’s going on: “…only 22.6 percent of those who committed suicide listed ‘inadequate pain control or concern about it’ as a primary end-of-life concern. But almost 91 percent said losing autonomy was a concern; 88 percent said being less able to engage in activities making life enjoyable; and 83 percent said a loss of dignity. “
- (Also, perhaps it’s worth mentioning Wesley J. Smith’s latest book. )
[Sponsor: ADF: Pastors 1:17]
[Game: Fill In the Blank: Unlikely Mashups]
- Aerosmith and _____________ – Walk this Way (Run DMC)
- Nelly and ________________ – Over and Over (Tim McGraw)
- ________________ and Chris Stapleton – I Can’t Drink You Away (Justin Timberlake)
- Nelly and ___________ – Cruise (Florida/Georgia Line)
- NSync and _____________ – God Must Have Spent a Little More Time on You (Alabama)
- ____________ and Paul McCartney – Say Say Say (Michael Jackson)
- ___________ and Elton John – Stan (Eminem)
Segment Three: Expand Your Horizons (Brian)
In Brooklyn, New York next week two chess grandmaster will face off for a world championship match. Brian’s now going to try to persuade us why this is even remotely interesting for ordinary people.
There was at least one man who sat in a chair deep thinking that had a large worldwide audience. His name was Jack Handy
Hadley and Brian Socials
Rate on Itunes
- DR Entertainment Brand