In this edition of DR Radio, we cover a selection of the most controversial parts of Bill Nye’s new Netflix series about saving the world, the massive layoffs at ESPN, the elections in France and Indonesia, and we play #NTON and DR Feud. Jay also takes the reins in the latest installment of DR Recommends.
To listen in, you can use the player below or you can subscribe to our podcast on iTunes or Android. We have included the show notes below so you can follow along and check our sources. Don’t forget to share the DR Radio love with your friends!
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
Show Notes, April 27, 2017
Hello everyone and welcome to the April 27th edition of Dead Reckoning Radio! I am your host, Jay Friesen joined today as usual, by Hadley Heath Manning and Dr. Brian G. Mattson. DR Radio is where we discuss the latest in cultural topics from a distinctly Christian worldview.
We have another 5-star rated show for you today- 23 five star ratings on iTunes in fact: Sports and Christianity brought about by ESPN’s epic layoff, Bill Nye’s new, not-very-scientific show and DR Recommends brought to you buy…me. Of course we’ll have games of wit and whimsey coming out of our two sponsor breaks. Today’s being a round of NTON and…
And today’s sponsor is Alliance Defending Freedom- Defending your right to freely live out your faith! Regardless of what you believe. You can find out more at www.adflegal.org. We’ll be hearing more from them at the break.
If you didn’t know this, DR Radio is recorded in front a live Facebook audience. You can find out more and sign up for notifications at our website: www.deadreckoning.tv And while you’re there, please consider becoming a recurring donor at $10 a month, it’s how we keep this show running. Dead Reckoning is a 501c3 non-profit media brand, your contributions are tax deductible.
With that, let’s dive into some…
- Fox News — In a surprising turn of events, Fox News parted ways with King of Cable Television, Bill O’Reilly. The on-air personality was easily the highest rated star, but was let go after new allegations of sexual harassment emerged. It was also made known that Fox had paid in the neighborhood of $13 Million over the years to settle other such claims against Mr. O’Reilly.
- Mr. Pence Does Not Want to Be Mr. O’Reilly – Just a week before the O’Reilly outrage (how DARE he behave inappropriately!), Vice President Mike Pence was being lampooned as a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal for having certain “rules” about his interactions with female co-workers. Sometimes called the “Billy Graham Rule,” Mr. Pence does not have dinner with female colleagues or go to parties that include alcohol without Mrs. Pence. Liberals everywhere were dumbstruck by these Puritanical notions. Guys, what do we think?
- Rubio Hypocrisy? Marco Rubio gave an impassioned speech on the Senate floor condemning the torture of a gay man in Chechnya. Many on the left appeared… puzzled at what they thought was hypocrisy. Because obviously a guy who opposes same-sex marriage must also favor torturing gay people. Right?
- French Elections – Presidential elections in France are headed for a run-off between the two top vote-getting candidates, Emmanuel Macron and Marine Le Pen. Le Pen is known as a populist “hard right” candidate and makes a lot of people nervous. (Think: Their version of Donald Trump). However, early polling puts Macron in the lead. Then again, Brexit and Trump both beat the polls.
- Indonesian Elections – Elections in Indonesia resulted in the loss of their conservative Christian governor to his Muslim rival. The good news is that the former Governor will not spend any time in jail for charges of his alleged “blasphemies.” Indonesia has been a “moderate” Muslim nation, and the shift could be significant.
Segment One: The World Has a New Savior: Bill Nye
Mechanical engineer Bill Nye is busy making the transition from teaching kids basic facts of science to… saving the world!? Yes, the short man in a bow tie has a new Netflix Original show entitled, Bill Nye Saves the World. Two episodes, in particular, have raised a few eyebrows.
First is a three minute segment with actor/singer Rachel Bloom, the purpose of which is to inform people that both sex and gender identity are fluid, and that to love #Science we must celebrate any and all sexual acts and arrangements. Let’s talk about that for a minute: is this #Science? Is it, as Ms. Bloom sings, “evolution, y’all!”?
Mr. Nye’s next controversial episode is a panel discussion about world population. He openly muses whether western governments should somehow penalize people for having “extra” children. So let’s talk about that. Is this #Science? Is it new? Has this, um, been tried before? Is he ignorant of that fact? What gives?
[Sponsor] ADF: Pastors 1:17
- World’s last male northern white rhino gets help from Tinder (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/national-news/ap-top-news/worlds-last-male-rhino-getting-help-from-tinder-dating-app/515936208)
- Pinterest announces new feature that will allow search based on income level
- Mark Zuckerberg confirms Facebook is working on mind-reading technology. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/04/19/mark-zuckerberg-confirms-facebook-working-mind-reading-technology/
- “It’s only a matter of time.” Says SnapChat CEO regarding social apps for car dash cams.
- Handmaid’s Tale themes not obvious, says Hulu exec. who thinks show is “apolitical
- Netflix’s biggest competition is sleep, says CEO. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/netflix-downloads-sleep-biggest-competition-video-streaming-ceo-reed-hastings-amazon-prime-sky-go-a7690561.html
Segment Two: #ESPNLayoffs
Wednesday was a bloodbath for sports cable-entertainment giant, ESPN. In the face of falling revenue, they fired over 100 people, many of them on-air personalities and some of them the very best sports journalists in the business, like baseball writer Jayson Stark. In the conservative commentary “bubble,” blame is laid on the fact that ESPN has openly embraced left-wing politics in their programming: breathlessly reporting on “Caitlynn” Jenner, endlessly lionizing Colin Kaepernick, and so forth. In the broader world, they talk about ESPN’s top-heavy licensing payments, cable bundling, and failing revenue models.
The reality is probably a combination of all of the above. In light of that, let’s talk a little bit about politics, economics, and sports. To what extent is the left-wing tilt responsible? In the “brave new world” of the Internet and its increasing options (MLB.TV, Hulu, etc.), was ESPN insufficiently “nimble” in the marketplace? Should some enterprising billionaire start a cable sports network!? There are a lot of good people looking for jobs today. 🙂
More importantly, how should Christians understand sports? Are they frivolous? Unimportant? Silly? Is it “wasting your life?” Many people have misgivings about what, if anything, sports has to offer the world.
[Sponsor] ADF: Pre-Enforcement Challenge 2:35
[Game] DR Radio Feud
Much like the first round of traditional Family Feud, our host, Jay, will read a question and then our contestants, Hadley and Brian, will buzz (using their voice and saying “ding”) once they have a response. The first to “ding” in gets the question. If they answer correctly, they get the points for the correct answer plus three additional answers to win more points and “complete the board” If they don’t get any additional points, the question then goes to the other contestant who gets up to three chances to “complete the board”.
Round 1: Name an actor or actress who is politically outspoken
Round 2: Name Something That Politicians Would Be Better Off Without
Segment Three: Dead Reckoning Recommends (Jay)
- Books: Anthony Ryan “Raven’s Shadow” series- incredible writing, some sketchy storylines.
- Books: Andrew Petersen’s Nathan McBride series- a character who believes in one God and a moral universe because of one God.
- Books: Edward T. Welch: Side By Side
Hadley and Brian Socials
Rate on Itunes
- DR Entertainment Brand