In this edition of DR Radio, Jay, Brian, and Hadley look at the moral “superiority” of Hollywood and the Weinstein fiasco, the latest Trump controversies, and what the Las Vegas shooting means.
To listen in, you can use the player below or you can subscribe to our podcast on iTunes or Android. We have included the show notes below so you can follow along and check our sources. Don’t forget to share the DR Radio love with your friends!
If you like our show, would you take a moment to rate us on iTunes? Thanks!
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
Show Notes, October 17, 2017
Hello everyone and welcome to the October 17th edition of Dead Reckoning Radio! I am Jay Friesen joined by Hadley Heath Manning and “the guy on the right, Dr. Brian G. Mattson. We are excited to be joining you live on Facebook and in some weird time-warping way, excited to be joining you right now…in a day or so…or something on your favorite podcast feed.
Speaking of podcasts, You can subscribe to our 5 star rated podcast at www.deadreckoning.tv. And consider rating us something high.
Dead Reckoning is a 501©3 organziation and is supported by your generous donations. You know who you are, thank you SO MUCH. Additionally, our sponsor helps us out, Alliance Defending Freedom, Defending your right to freely live out your faith! Regardless of what you believe. You can find out more at www.adflegal.org.
Today we will our two major segments will feature discussion of reform, caring or not caring and the 2nd Amendment surrounding the Las Vegas shooting, and among other things, some of the finer feminism considerations around outraging Harvey Weinstein and celebrating Hugh Hefner. As usual will kick off of the show with some Quick Takes and throw in a couple games of wit and whimsy following the breaks and today’s games are, Fill In the Blank- Tom Petty Edition
Now, those quick takes I mentioned:
- DR Frames! – Talk about this new social media, uh, thing.
- RIP Tom Petty – Death of an All-American rocker.
- POTUS v. Bill of Rights – The President of the United States says networks that are unfair to him should “have their licenses revoked.” 1st Amendment, much?
- Androgynous Scouts! The Boy Scouts will accept girls now, all the way up to Eagle Scout.
- Androgynous Soccer Players! – Outrage in Australia, after transgender player Hannah Mouncey was disqualified to be drafted for the women’s football league. Keep in mind that Hannah, as far as chromosomes are concerned, is a man who wears a size 15 shoe. The league determined that the strength disparity puts the women athletes at unnecessary risk. The league is being roundly condemned for turning their backs on “equality” and “inclusion.”
- Uncle Sam Doesn’t Like Churches – FEMA is restricting grants to churches, even though houses of worship provided precious infrastructure for disaster relief after hurricanes. FEMA’s happy to use their buildings, but they won’t help repair them. Nice.
- Parson Brown Loses His House? In very much related news, a Federal District Judge has ruled the clergy housing allowance unconstitutional. The Freedom From Religion Foundation scored a victory, presumably against megachurch pastors with multimillion dollar homes. But the small fry churches will bear the burden if this is upheld.
- ACA Contraception Mandate – The Trump Administration ended the HHS’s contraception mandate requiring religious employers to pay for abortifacient drugs.
[Sponsor] ADF – Esteban Carrasco’s Story 2:20
- Woman granted sick pay to look after her dog
- Woman who was injured wins case against shark
New type of northern lights discovered, named Steve
- St. Augustine man arrested for urinating on alligator at farm.
Segment One: Hollywood: Our Moral Superiors
A week after toasting and celebrating legendary pornographer Hugh Hefner for his lifetime achievement of treating women like sex dolls, the entertainment world is now busy crucifying one of their most influential moguls: Harvey Weinstein. His unforgivable crime? A lifetime of treating women like sex dolls.
- The incredible silence of everyone who knew. That is, EVERYONE.
- Why the decades long cover for his piggish behavior? Right politics and connections? Power?
- Interesting issue for feminism: a number of actresses (feminists, all) wonder where were all the MEN to protect them?
- Etc., etc., etc.
[Sponsor] ADF – Francis Jimenez’s Story
[Game] Fill in the Blank – Tom Petty Edition
Honey, it don’t make no difference to me baby
Everybody’s had to fight to be free, you see
You don’t have to live like a ___________
No baby you don’t have to live like a ____________
Refugee – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
And I’m a bad boy, cause I don’t even miss her
I’m a bad boy for breakin’ her heart
And I’m free, ____________
Yeah I’m free, ____________
Free Falling – Tom Petty
So let’s get to the point, let’s roll another joint
Let’s head on down the road
There’s somewhere I gotta go
And you don’t know how it feels
(You Don’t Know How It Feels To Be Me)
(You Don’t Know How It Feels To Be Me – Tom Petty)
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
( I won’t back down)
I Won’t Back Down – Tom Petty
Segment Two: What Happened in Vegas…
We know that what happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas, but we really should talk about it. Stephen Paddock, a wealthy retiree, stockpiled a large number of semiautomatic weapons in his room at the Mandalay Bay hotel and opened fire on a crowd of concert goers. 546 were injured, and 58 were killed
Predictably, this ignited once again a firestorm of controversy over access to firearms, with the usual suspects taking the usual sides. There’s a lot of heat, but very little light.
-First, and most importantly, what does Jimmy Kimmel think?
-Is this a debate between people who care and people who don’t care?
-What are the reform laws that would prevent this sort of massacre?
-Is “just do something” a policy proposal?
-What’s a bumpstock, and should they be banned?
-Is the 2nd Amendment outdated, or does it have continued importance?
Segment Three: Dead Reckoning Recommends (Jay)
- Prayer by Tim Keller
- Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless, noise cancelling headphones.
Hadley and Brian Socials
Rate on Itunes
- DR Entertainment Brand