In this edition of DR Radio, we chat about the upcoming vote on the GOP healthcare bill, #boycottdisney, “conservative” Tomi Lahren, Russell Moore and the SBC, and more!
To listen in, you can use the player below or you can subscribe to our podcast on iTunes or Android. We have included the show notes below so you can follow along and check our sources. Don’t forget to share the DR Radio love with your friends!
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at email@example.com
Dead Reckoning Radio
Show Notes, March 21, 2017
Hello everyone and welcome to the March 21st edition of Dead Reckoning Radio! I am your host, Jay Friesen along with Hadley Heath Manning and Dr. Brian G. Mattson. Were we discuss the latest in cultural topics from a distinctly Christian worldview.
And today’s topics include: Boycotting Disney…again, physical boycotting the Southern Baptist Conventions Russel Moore- well we’ll talk about what’s going on there anyway and we’ll be closing the show with a few tips from Brian on Dead Reckoning Recommends\. As usual, we’ll be coming back from our two sponsors breaks with games of wit and whimsy! Oh, and what’s becoming a regular take, Hadley will bring you the weekly ACA Update.
DR Radio is a 5-star rated podcast recorded in front of a live Facebook audience. If you’re live, please subscribe and pray they don’t kick us off like last week! If you’re listening on the podcast please sign up to our email or follow one of our social media accounts to be notified of recording dates and times! You can do all of the above via our beautiful website, www.deadreckoning.tv
And while you’re there, would you please consider becoming a recurring donor at $10 a month. Just click on the “Support” tab on our website to quickly and easily set up regular donations with your account of choice. And because Dead Reckoning is a 501c3 non-profit media brand, your contributions are tax deductible.
Also keeping this show going are our sponsors! Today’s sponsor is Alliance Defending Freedom- Defending your right to freely live out your faith! Regardless of what you believe. You can find out more at www.adflegal.org. We’ll be hearing more from them at the break.
- Remley on the HotSeat! Well, okay, another guy named Gorsuch, that is. Nomination hearings for Supreme Court hopeful Neil Gorsuch have begun. There have been a few fireworks, but expectations are that he will be confirmed. Comments?
- RIP, Chuck Berry – “Johnnie-B-Goode” songwriter Chuck Berry passed away. He was an innovative guitarist in the early golden age of rock.
- World-Famous Korean Analyst… Last week treated us to possibly the most viral video of all time. Dr. Robert Kelly, expert on Korea, was Skyping an interview live on BBC when some other people stole the show, and the hearts of everyone everywhere.
- Tomi Lahren Suspended! BlazeTV commentator Tomi Lahren has been suspended from her job after going on The View and calling her pro-life conservative colleagues hypocrites. Have you guys followed that story? What do you think?
- Weekly ACA Update! What’s up with the health care bill, Hadley!?
Segment One: Russell Moore Dodges a Bullet (For Now)
Lots of upheaval in evangelical world last week over reports that the President of the Southern Baptist Convention, Frank Page, was open to firing Russell Moore, head of the denomination’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Center. Moore is a strong leader with strong convictions, and those kinds of people tend to polarize to some extent. His flat rejection of Donald Trump throughout the 2016 campaign has many Southern Baptist churches upset, and some significant congregations have threatened to withhold money from ERLC over it.
Alas, Moore and Page smoothed it over. For now. The SBC convention is in June, and it promises to be feisty. There still are many who want him fired.
- What do you guys think of Russell Moore? And his detractors?
- Is this an instance of our political polarization creeping into the church, or is this a real theological divide in the Southern Baptist Church?
- How should the church speak to political matters? (Yeah, that’ll take more time than the end of our segment…)
[Sponsor] ADF: UW Madison Student MOS: 4:08
[Game] Nerd v. Nerd
“bless it up” – A term used to tell someone to pray before an event. (ex: bless it up so we can eat. )
Segment Two: #BoycottDisney (Again)
Outrage at Disney is back on the menu, after reports of an allegedly “exclusively gay scene” in Beauty and the Beast, which opened this weekend. You could almost call this a “Tale as old as time.” Disney pushes a boundary, evangelicals freak out. So, Director Bill Condon said the following: “LeFou is somebody who on one day wants to be Gaston and on another day wants to kiss Gaston. He’s confused about what he wants. It’s somebody who’s just realizing that he has these feelings. And Josh (the actor) makes something really subtle and delicious out of it. And that’s what has its payoff at the end, which I don’t want to give away. But it is a nice, exclusively gay moment in a Disney movie.”
Cue the calls to #BoycottDisney! A drive-in theater in Alabama is refusing to show the film, and Russia gave the movie an R rating! What’s a person to think? Is this cut-and-dried or a little fuzzy? Is this all marketing/promotion to get more eyeballs on the screen? Should Christians see the film? Should parents be cautious about underlying messages in movies they show their kids? Was LeFou really gay in the original, or are we just retroactively judging a character’s sexuality through our newly minted, enlightened standards? What do we think? Reactions, please!
[Sponsor] ADF: #Religious Freedom Sisters 00:25
ADF: #ReligiousFreedom Grace 00:46
[Game] Two Truths and a Lie
- The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor has an officially sanctioned Squirrel Club whose sole purpose is to feed campus squirrels peanuts.
- Want to tweet for the Pope? Villanova offers an internship with the Vatican where students can do just that.
*3. Brown is the oldest college in the US. (False: Harvard is the oldest)
- Students built ramps for the local salamanders at Binghamton University.
- *2. When Louisiana State University plays Alabama, they hold a pig roast before the game. (FALSE: When LSU plays the Gators, they roast a whole alligator).
- Keggy the Keg is the unofficial mascot of Dartmouth College.*1. At UNC, the firetrucks are white and Duke blue in order to symbolize how they with “douse” their biggest rival (FALSE: the trucks are the UNC colors, tarheel blue and white)
- Kermit the Frog has an honorary Doctorate in Amphibious Letters from Southhampton College.
- At Penn, spectators throw toast onto the football field during the 3rd quarter of every game to “toast” their team. (This happened because they used to toast the team with alcohol until it was banned and picked a cheeky replacement.)
- The University of Montana is said to be haunted by Janet Rankin.
- Rice University provides a puppy room for it’s students during finals week.
*3. Last year, Colorado State awarded an honorary, posthumous doctorate to Harambe the gorilla. (FALSE) (edited)
Segment Three: Dead Reckoning Recommends (Brian)
Hadley and Brian Socials
Rate on Itunes
- DR Entertainment Brand